SOWING THE SEED
- A friend who happens to be part of Freeman Trading was visiting the Lake District to catch up with mates, after returning from a trip to Peru.
- He suggested to Steven that roasting coffee would be the perfect new foodie challenge for him.
- Steven has over 40 years’ experience in the catering and food industry.
- Searching out a good cup of coffee had always been a priority and now it’s on his doorstep!
- The coffee story makes for good reading – from Ethiopian dancing goats to the subversive nature of the dark liquid threatening King and Country!
- Todays café culture began in the 1600’s when the first coffee house opened – and women were banned from them!
- Changes in attitude towards fairer trading practices so that the farmer and his family, communities and their environment really do benefit.
- All came across as a great industry to be part of.
- Steven purchased a domestic roaster and began experimenting in the kitchen.
- Quickly recognising that he had discovered a new passion and could no longer smoke out the family home – it was time to go roaster shopping.
- By good fortune a 2 Kg Brazilian roster came up on EBay. It was very rudimentary, resembling a cement mixer with a Bunsen burner underneath.
- The following months were spent experimenting and drinking a lot of coffee. The orders kept increasing and soon it was time to move up another level.
- Proudly sitting in the Coffee Den is a 15Kg Giessen Coffee Roaster.
- Mr Duffins Coffee -Beans Roasted with Love was born.
INTRODUCING THE CREW